Learn to make pottery like you’ve always wanted to
The Lichtenstein Center for the Arts hosts a series of pottery classes led by Jim Horsford. This six-week program will take people of any experience level through a step-by-step process on how to create pots, mugs and bowls using clay. A breakdown of the program is as follows:
1. First class: Students wedge two pieces of clay and step by step we throw two small pots: a mug and a bowl.
2. Second class: We continue throwing and make three more pots.
3. Third class: Now that we have five pots that have been kept moist in plastic and we trim the bottoms of the pieces.
4. Fourth Week: Its back to throwing, and we make three larger pots.
5. Week five: Work from week four is trimmed, handles are made for mugs and pitchers, clay can be added to the exterior of work or textures can be carved into the surface of work.
6. Week six: Each student will have six to eight pots that they will glaze.
About a week after glazing, students from all classes will return for a pick-up celebration.
The cost of the six-week program is $220. Those interested should choose either Tuesdays beginning January 15 or Thursdays beginning January 17. Classes are held from 6:30pm-9pm at the Lichtenstein Center for the Arts at 28 Renne Avenue in Pittsfield, Mass.